Tuesday 20 March 2012

A Bit of Cynicism followed by Photos - that will make you forget all about it.

An old friend of mine seems to have randomly turned into an expert photographer, I saw this picture the other day and my jaw dropped, reminds me of the time I went on an IDP safari (I'm aware that I may have coined this term) with my cousin who was so obsessed with taking winning shots that he would rejoice when a particular shot was noticeably inspiring of sympathy he went as far as to twist the life stories of the children that were interviewed to be sadder than they really were, "Oh so three of your brothers were killed? Let's make it 5 shall we" it was quite distasteful but I was indebted to him for helping with my own photos a few days earlier (Don't judge me, I already live with the guilt). Sensational journalism is an evil thing. 

On the other hand the reason I think the photos I'm about to post are so good is that they reflect the real fortitude of people living in poverty, the ability to smile more sincerely than any of us, to live in the moment, and to make the most of being alive. (Pashtun spirit in a nutshell).

Of course maybe I'm overstepping my boundaries, that's the thing about speaking from behind a lens, it sounds so anthropological. Like most useless fields of study the analysis one makes is often a better reflection of the observer than the observed, the observer projects their own insecurities onto their subject. Part of me feels guilty for feeling the way I do about photos like these. What right does somebody like me have to share in the happiness of these people? I may as well be from another dimension. To the camera they'll always be subjects and nothing more. This is the part where you're supposed to ignore my stupid rambling and look at the pictures (click to enlarge). 

                  Hats off to Hoor! And to the smiles she's captured. 











4 comments:

  1. These pictures are indeed beautiful!

    Interesting thoughts and questions ob the observer and the observed. Anthropologists, and others who have "subjects," are finally realizing that perhaps they really are projecting their own insecurities on their "subjects" in their studies, and now even referring to the participants of their studies as "subjects" is considered a problem, and they're encouraged to avoid using it.

    I might steal your questions for a discussion on the same topic next time it comes up in any class :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a small world. I think we could be related :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't doubt that for a second haha - pa pekhawar ke toll de yo bal rishtidaaraan yuu(and naturally that emanates throughout the whole world). LMAO maybe i should start calling you baji after all

      Delete